Oct 15, 2008

The end of history and the last camera



I like to take pictures of old things, disappearing things, and things at night. If I come across an old, disappearing thing at night, even better. Problem is, I don't like tripods and I don't like flashes, which makes night photography a real challenge. I use the most light sensitive lenses I can afford and the most light sensitive digital cameras available. I've been pretty happy with the lenses, but the cameras stalled at ISO 3200 (a measure of light sensitivity) and stayed there for years. Finally, Nikon broke the barrier and Canon soon followed.
The other night, I got to try out the new Canon 50D, which sports not only 6400 ISO, but 12,800 ISO as well. I only had time to try it out in my suburban neighborhood, but I did get to try it at night, and with today's economy, the suburbs themselves (as we know them) could possibly be a disappearing thing, so I was reasonably happy.
The light sensitivity seems to be excellent, but it's noisy at the extreme end. Still, the first half hour of use was encouraging, but a dark cul-de-sac on a cloudy night isn't much of a proving ground. It will take some weeks or months to learn what this new machine can really do. The camera has other new features that I don't care much about, I know Canon makes a good dSLR - all I care about is light and noise. I like to joke that every camera I buy will be my last, but that time seems to be getting closer with the 50D.




Canon EOS 50D & EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS lens

6 comments:

Mike said...

Interesting piece on photography at night. I always enjoy your photos as you travel around the region. The other evening I was at an Elkton Town Meeting, and when I came out there was a beautiful full moon hanging over the 1870s lockup where executions and things have occurred. I had my camera in the car, but didn't have a tripod. Have you ever done shots of the old Jail in Elkton on North Street. I'll have to go back some evening sith a tripod.


thanks

falmanac said...

Thanks for the kind words. We like your blogs too, and have featured several stories (just the lede, of course), from them on Falmanac.
We did some night photography in Elkton last winter. You can find some of the pictures at http://www.nightening.com. Scroll down to the Archives button and click on last December and January.

Mary Rayme said...

Girl glad boy like camera. ;-)

falmanac said...

Me like a lot!

Mike said...

Enjoyed the night photos web site. Great work and it's interesting how that changes that art entirely. I guess I hadn't paid much attention to the perspectives and opportunities the night provides. I'll have to drag out my tripod and try that old 1870jail before they tear it down, someday. Thanks again for putting quality content online.

Also feel free to use anything we post.

falmanac said...

Likewise.