Jun 21, 2021

Country Churches: Chanceford Presbyterian

My favorite art museum is the outdoors. There's few things I enjoy more than driving through the countryside to discover some great work of art that I've never seen before - never even heard of. Which is why I don't resort to guidebooks when touring the area, I'd rather be surprised. And they are great works of art, many of them, the barns, chapels, and churches; even some of the the old factories & stores are mind bogglingly attractive. And they're just sitting there, out in a cornfield, or hidden between warehouses, waiting to be viewed by me, and hopefully, by you too. I don't know who designed the latest Chanceford Presbyterian Church building, but it looks similar to Centre Presbyterian, over in New Park, Pennsylvania, not very far away. Perhaps it was the same architect? They are both good looking buildings and I'm not sure which one I like more. The church was founded in 1751. Another building, perhaps an older sanctuary, also sits on the property. While I couldn't find a history of Chanceford Presbyterian, I did find reference to a sermon delivered there in 1865, on the topic of Lincoln's assassination. They were against it.

Photos: Canon EOS 5D ©falmanac

0 comments: