May 16, 2007

Harford has 103 parks? Really?


No, not really. Though the Harford P&R website lists 103 parks, many of them aren't developed. Clicking on each of the 103, I found 19 listed as undeveloped with no facilities whatsoever. Many more were listed as sort of developed, maybe, I guess - it was hard to tell from the descriptions provided.
The state has mandated that there should be 30 acres of parkland for every 1,ooo citizens and Harford is pretty close with 27.7 acres, but like I said, a lot of these parcels are parks in name only.
Even worse, a May 14, 2007 article in the Examiner states that "Harford County will need to purchase 1,200 acres for parkland every year for the next 15 years just to maintain its ratio of 27.7 acres per 1,000 people." I don't see that happening anytime soon.
In the meantime, I'm off to Mount Soma. Never heard of it? I don't know why, after all, it's your park. Good luck finding it.


Mount Soma: courtesy of The Historical Society of Harford County.

0 comments: