Jun 15, 2007

The uncouth are a mixed curse









Every so often somebody asks me what I'm thinking, and oftener than not, I'll answer with something like, "I was thinking about the Lend Lease Act." I think they think I'm being evasive, but the sad, or happy, fact is that I think about history a lot. So it was no surprise to me that while I was standing in the Guinston cemetery, I was thinking not about mortality, but about history, the history of the people scattered about me.
We know from the last entry on Guinston Presbyterian Church, that the Scots-Irish had been apportioned land west of the Susquehanna because the Quaker establishment felt that "their character and customs were so entirely different from the Quakers." In other words, they thought they were a pack of murderous rabble who'd best be placed on the frontier where they could act as a buffer against the Indians. And they were right, their only mistake, was not placing them far enough away; at least that seemed like the case when the Paxton Boys, a group of "rogue Presbyterians" marched on Philadelphia in 1764. On the other hand, when the Revolution came along (War of 1812 too), a whole lot of that rabble signed on to fight with George Washington. Or at least that's what it looks like, standing in an old graveyard in York County. It's just a thought, one I need to do some reading to verify.



"Benjamin Franklin and the Paxton Mob" (Wikipedia)
Top photos Canon 5D ©falmanac

0 comments: