Nov 18, 2007

Wineberries



I've been eating these berries since I was 5 years old. That's when I found my neighbor, a wise old second grader, eating them. I wouldn't touch them until the next day, just to make sure she didn't die overnight. She called them wineberries, but I never could find a thing out about them, until I looked them up on Wikipedia, which says: "The species was introduced to Europe and North America as an ornamental plant and for its potential in breeding hybrid raspberries. It has subsequently escaped from cultivation and become naturalised and sometimes invasive in parts of Europe and eastern North America. They are also called Wine raspberries." The wineberry season is over, but if you see some next summer, try them; they're tasty & grow all over Maryland and Southeast Pennsylvania. I like them better than raspberries or blackberries.

Photo: Wikipedia under a GNU License

0 comments: