Jul 30, 2010

The Burning of Chambersburg



General Early's order was now published, requiring a levy of $200,000 in gold, or its equivalent in greenbacks, and in default of payment Chambersburg was to be laid in ashes. Just then some scouts returned with a prisoner from Averill's command, reporting him to be not more than two or three miles off, with a heavy force of cavalry. The citizens knew it too, and positively refused to raise the money, laughing at us when we threatened to burn the town.
After we had breakfasted at the hotel, General McCausland ordered me to arrest fifty or more of the most prominent citizens, and put them under guard. I had arrested about forty, when he sent for me, and said that there was no time to be lost—the town must be burned; he was sorry for it on account of the women and children, but it must be done, to check the burning of private property in Virginia, and they had none to blame for it but General Hunter, and their own press for extolling such fiendish acts of Vandalism. He then ordered me to fire the town, and showed me General Early's order to that effect. Deeply regretting that such a task should fall upon me, I had only to obey. I then directed my men to fire the town, but be kind to the women and children, and lend them all the assistance in their power. While I could remain in the streets, I did nothing but assist the people and see that no excesses were committed. Several times I received peremptory orders to make a thorough work of it, and was especially directed to destroy all fine dwellings.
When the town was no longer tenable, I took two men with me to fire a fine brick dwelling beautifully situated on an eminence northwest of the town. Dismounting, I went in, and told the lady who came to the door that I was there to perform the extremely unpleasant duty of burning her house, which I much regretted; that we were obliged to resort to such extreme measures in order to prevent or check the terrible devastation committed by such men as General Hunter. I told her that the people of that town had seen us twice before, and that all had spoken in the highest terms of our behavior, saying that our soldiers had behaved better than their own. She was weeping, evidently much distressed, but she acknowledged the justice of my remarks, and declared that she blamed none but the administration for allowing such horrible acts of cruelty to go unpunished. She was in deep distress, and shed many bitter tears; did not beg me to spare her house; only asked time to remove some articles of value and clothing. This was readily granted. Breakfast was on the table, and she asked me to eat something while she was getting her things together. Being hungry, I accepted the invitation, and drank a glass of wine before sitting down. I delayed as much as possible, in order to afford her more time, and when I rose from the table I had half a mind to disobey orders in regard to this house. She then came in, and entered into conversation. I asked her the name of her husband. She replied, " Colonel Boyd, of the Union Army." " What! Colonel Boyd, of the 1st New York Cavalry?" "The same, sir." "Then, madam, your house shall not be destroyed."

I now understood why she had not pleaded for it. The reader will recollect that this officer has been already mentioned as operating in the Valley. He had ever been kind and lenient to the citizens, men, women, and children, warring only against men in arms. The fact of her being the wife of Colonel Boyd decided me at once. I told her that I knew her husband, and had fought against him for two years in the Valley of Virginia; that he had gained a high reputation among the citizens for kindness and gentlemanly conduct; that while we were there for the purpose of punishing Vandalism, we were ready and anxious to repay acts of kindness done to our people, who, when unprotected, had been exposed by the fortunes of war to the mercy or harsh treatment of our foes. I told her that her house should not be burned, blame me for it who would, and that I would leave a guard for her protection till all were gone. She seemed to be completely overwhelmed, as though she did not comprehend what I had said; but when I assured her again that neither her house nor any thing that belonged to her should be molested, her gratitude knew no bounds. To the picket near by the house she afterward sent baskets filled with nice eatables, hot coffee, and as much wine as they desired.
I left a guard; and well I did, for an officer who had been drinking too much came up soon after, and tried to force the guard and burn the house.

The burning of Chambersburg was an awful sight, nor could I look on without deep sorrow, although I had been hardened by such scenes in Virginia. At one view had we not, with anguished hearts, from the mountain top, gazed upon the sky reddened by the burning of one hundred and eighteen houses in that once smiling valley, a small part, indeed, in the history of Hunter's ruthless raid; inflicted, too, not by an ungovernable soldiery, but under a coldly calculated mandate. Who, then, taking a dispassionate view, will condemn our government for this act of righteous retribution.
Hitherto the fires had been applied to the houses of my friends, which roused within me feelings of the sternest vengeance ; still, I felt more like weeping over Chambersburg, although the people covered me with reproaches, which all who know me will readily believe I found hard to digest; yet my pity was highly excited in behalf of these poor unfortunates, who were made to suffer for acts perpetrated by the officers of their own government.
The day was bright and intensely hot. The conflagration seemed to spring from one vast building. Dense clouds of smoke rose to the zenith, and hovered over the dark plain. At night it would have been a grand but terrible object to behold. How piteous the sight in those beautiful green meadows—groups of women and children exposed to the rays of a burning sun, hovering over the few articles they had saved, most of them wringing their hands, and with wild gesticulations bemoaning their ruined homes! - Harry Gilmor (Four Years in the Saddle)


Images: 1. Ruins of the Franklin County Court House, Chambersburg, Pa., destroyed by Confederate troops in 1864 (Library of Congress). 2. General McCausland (CSA). 3. General David Hunter (USA). 4. Colonel William H. Boyd (USA). 5. Colonel Harry Gilmor (CSA).

0 comments: