Dec 15, 2010

Even more about scrapple before the holidays


(OiYK) It's been a while since I've had a good post about scrapple, puddin', ponhaus and its origins. For our part, we have a freezer full of Habbersett's for Hubby, courtesy of my mother-in-law, so I thought it might be a good time to revisit some past discussions on the subject!
Commenter Robert brings up scrapple as a good meat for this time of year. He says, "My family has eaten panhas for years every Thanksgiving. My ancestors were as German as as you could get with a name like Zahnhizer. This meat product was traditionally very similar to head cheese, but now has been modified a bit. My mom uses a bit of black pepper as the seasoning and it is fried crispy outside, soft on the inside and eaten WITHOUT any other additions. This is a meat product not fried corn mush!"
(Wonder what Mark thinks about the lack of King Syrup??) Continued


0 comments: