Dec 15, 2011

Riding the rails and seeing the sights



(exploreharford.com) On a recent Saturday morning, I had an opportunity to ride Amtrak north from Baltimore to Philadelphia. I had not been on a train in something like 13 years, and I was interested to see how I would view the places in Harford and Cecil counties along the rail line from a different perspective.
Crossing Bush River into Perryman, I was surprised to see very little had changed, or at least I had that feeling. Other than a few new industrial buildings here and there, and some new homes near the water at Forest Greens, the area looked open and much of it is still being farmed.
Seeing what remains of the venerable Mitchell family canning buildings, now given over to the storage of farm implements and other equipment, reminded me of a story I had read in an old edition of The Aegis from the 1940s or 1950s about two wandering hobos who got what the newspaper called "the ride of their lives." Continued

Photos: Top: Amtrak Susquehanna River bridge Bottom: Mitchell Cannery. (MDRails)

0 comments: