May 4, 2006

The McComas Institute























The McComas Institute, says the Maryland Historical Trust, "stands as the single most important landmark in the history of black education in Harford County, Maryland. Constructed in 1867, this building is one of three schools erected in the area for the Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands (also known as the Freedmen's Bureau) after the Civil War. McComas Institute is the only one, however, to remain intact." The Institute stands alongside a church that may predate the Institute by two years, according to an inscribed stone set in the front steps. The church is still active. Local lore has it that Union troops camped nearby after the war, presumably to guard the place. It may well be true, but I don't have any proof of it. McComas sat neglected for decades until finally getting a coat of paint about 15 years ago. I mark it as one of the most important historic buildings in Harford County, Maryland, and one of the best looking too.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Good Morning, My name is Shareise Simpson and I just visited both locations on 9/11/10. My entire family is buried in the cemetery. I am proud to know the rich history of these two places not only from reading, but from my family mainly. I am trying to find out as much as I can to pass this history on to my daughter. I spent almost 1 and 1/2 hours out there cleaning the cemetery grounds. I am so glad that it is a Historic site, so it will be around for many, many years.

falmanac said...

I hope it's there for another 143 years!

Anonymous said...

Today is 2/9/13, I have traveled past this site for many years, not knowing its significance till today, but knowing prior that there was something special about this place. Today it needs some attention as you drive past, new paint, some louvers in the bell tower have collapsed and the cemetary next store has a large tree down in it from a tremendous storm years past - it had been tended to, but parts still remain and I am confident it lays on grave sites.