Aug 30, 2007

Travelers Repose



"Travellers Repose sits at the bottom of Cheat Mountain in the Greenbrier Valley of West Virginia and used to be a stagecoach stop on the Staunton-Parkersburg Turnpike.
It used to be a bustling inn, mill and farm that became a campground and battlefield during the American Civil War. Stonewall Jackson stayed here and Ambrose Bierce camped here as a soldier during the War.
After the conflict, Bierce came back to the Inn to relax, write, and presumably eat the legendary meals of mutton, bacon, pancakes, and of course fresh trout from the river." Continued.

2 comments:

Anthony said...

What an exceptional project you have going here.

It's great how you keep it targeted with the greater Baltimore area and country churches, but also work in so many other interesting things.

I'm definitely going to have to get into my boxes of negatives, do some scanning and start posting shots I got from my days in Baltimore and Northern Virginia!

Thanks for sharing.

After an extended "vacation" I started shooting again recently. Some of my favorite subject matter has been Canton's Frank Lloyd Wright houses. That's Canton, Ohio.

I must say, though, that I loved seeing Vaccaro's on your "Canton" map. Definitely one of my all time favorite places in Baltimore's Little Italy neighborhood.

I hope you'll come for a visit to The Lives and Times... and surf a bit. I'd be interested in any comments you may have.

If you're so inclined, I'd like to do a link exchange.

Have a great day. And a few crabcakes for me!!

falmanac said...

Anthony, thanks for your kind words about falmanac. It's great to hear from a kindred spirit. You're blog, http://thelivesandtimes.blogspot.com/ is a great read and I think falmanac fans would enjoy it. I have placed a link in our blog roll. Thanks again!