Feb 26, 2008

Country Churches: Cranberry UMC

"Cranberry church was founded in 1862 by a small group of believers from the Perryman, Maryland area. They met in a one-room schoolhouse, 30 X 24 feet, hauled by 10 yoke of oxen from Sod Run (about two miles below town) to a site just south of the present location.
The Methodist Church divided in 1865 into two groups, Methodist Episcopal Church South and Methodist Episcopal Church North, due to the feelings over the Civil War. Cranberry Methodist Episcopal Church South was organized on June 13, 1866 with five Trustees John M. Taylor, Daniel Martin, James Numbers, Joseph Everist Taylor and Joseph Wells. A tract called "James Park", originally "Cranberry Plantation", was deeded from Edward Griffith for $1.00 as a gift to the above Trustees. The deed read, "81 perches of land, more or less, measured by a stone in the middle of the road leading from Spesutia church to Bush River Neck." Continued

Canon EOS 30D & EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS lens