Apr 23, 2008

Susquehanna Canal Lottery

(portdeposit.com) - A group of Baltimore merchants in November 1783 petitioned the State of Maryland for permission to build the "Susquehanna Canal" to the Pennsylvania line on the east bank of the Susquehanna.
This canal, variously referred to as the "Susquehanna Canal", "Port Deposit Canal", or "Conowingo Canal", ran from a tidewater connection near Rock Run to Love Island, just below the Mason-Dixon line. The general assembly of Maryland grants a charter to build a canal along the route of the lower Susquehanna River. The Proprietors of the Susquehanna (Port Deposit) Canal is incorporated.
The canal was opened in 1801, but was never a financial successful. In 1817, the sheriff of Cecil County sold the canal at public auction. The canal was finally abandoned when the Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal began operations.