Jun 12, 2008

I said I wasn't gonna buy a Canon 40D



Just like I said I wasn't gonna buy a 5D or a 30D. It was the $200 rebate that finally pulled me in.
Anyway, when the 40D arrived today, the first thing I wanted to test was a new feature called "highlight tone priority," which promises fewer blown-out highlights. I went in search of a barn with a tin roof in the bright summer sun. Did the feature pass the test? I think it did, but you can decide for yourself. Below are two pictures shot at the same settings (100% crop of the above scene), one without & one with highlight priority enabled.

Highlight tone priority disabled


Highlight tone priority enabled

Canon EOS 40D & EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM lens. Settings: "P" mode, RAW, Picture Style: "Neutral."

Location: Kidd Road, Fallston, Maryland

0 comments: